our criminal justice system: a dozen inmates die each day. 4,400 inmates die every year ... Maybe John McCain should be answerable for all these tragic events Re: Otto Warmbier dead: Student was 'murdered' by North Korea, says John McCain
lo yeeOn
2017-06-28 01:21:41 UTC
After Warmbier was detained, his health and life were in North Korea's
hands. North Korea is answerable for what hapoened to him.
Wakalukong
If this were the accepted practice, then Milosevic's death would be
logically in the hands of the ICC. Can we absolve the United States,
the principal who launched the bombing and breakup of Yugoslavia and
who is principally responsible for the Serb politician's arrest?

And using your argument, any nation state that accepts your argument
cannot have a prison system because a certain percentage of the prison
population will die, partly from statistics and partly from the loss
of freedom and other unfavorable living conditions.

Until you think that all laws should be abolished, prison sentencing
will probably be unavoidable.

If so, then who is going to automatically take responsibility for a
prisoner's death like you have suggested?

That's why we need to be less extreme but more thoughtful and to try
to understand where the responsibilities truly lie before we start
pointing our accusatory finger and fan the flame of war against North
Korea.

As it is, there is already too much destruction on this planet without
further inflaming the situation over there.

By the way, the ICC itself had recently exonerated Milosevic - the
last of the Yugoslav presidents. So, there, an innocent person
unfortunately had to die under a situation that would be best
described as a miscarriage of justice!

But if we honestly accept your argument, then the U.S. should be the
first, but not the only party, to be held responsible for the death
prisoner Milosevic. Whether the person deserved to die because he
committed XYZWuV is irrelevant, if I understand your position
correctly.

And we can be holding our breath about Liu Xiaobo! And then do the
same about Julian Assange. In the case of Liu, China would be
culpable, and in the case of Assange, the U.S. government and the
Queen of England would be likewise because these are the parties
who have held various persons in captivity. And there is always a
nonvanishing probability that those people could die in captivity.

And worse yet, if you google "rate of death among those incarcerated",
you see all kinds of statistics. Here is one:

How often do prisoners die behind bars? - The Washington Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/.../how-often-do-prisoners-die-behind-bars/

Jul 23, 2015 - About 4,400 jail and prison inmates die every year,
federal statistics ... among inmates facing a crisis situation that
could predispose them to ...

Controversy and questions continue to surround the death of Sandra
Bland, a 28-year-old African American woman found hanging in her
cell earlier this month. Local authorities ruled her death a
suicide, while her family and friends said it was "unfathomable"
that she would have taken her own life.

Even as Bland's death has created a national firestorm, with the
traffic stop that preceded her arrest drawing heavy criticism, this
situation also points to another reality of the U.S. criminal
justice system: The staggering number of inmates who die behind bars
each year.

An average of about a dozen inmates die each day, according to the
Justice Department. About 4,400 jail and prison inmates die every
year, federal statistics show, a tally that does not include
executions (which are infrequent, numbering in the dozens each year
and adding up to just a fraction of all other inmate deaths).

. . .

In short, they said, jails tended to exacerbate suicidal behavior:

Experts theorize that two primary causes for jail suicide exist:

(1) jail environments are conducive to suicidal behavior and

(2) the inmate is facing a crisis situation. From the inmate's
perspective, certain features of the jail environment enhance
suicidal behavior:

fear of the unknown, distrust of an authoritarian environment,
perceived lack of control over the future, isolation from family
and significant others, shame of incarceration, and perceived
dehumanizing aspects of incarceration. In addition, certain
factors are prevalent among inmates facing a crisis situation that
could predispose them to suicide: recent excessive drinking and/or
drug use, recent loss of stabilizing resources, severe guilt or
shame over the alleged offense, current mental illness, prior
history of suicidal behavior, and approaching court date. In
addition, some inmates simply are (or become) ill equipped to
handle the common stresses of confinement.

. . .

On one hand, all these horrible facts ought to teach us - every
responsible citizen - to be more cautious about making accusations
against people or parties without first taking up a careful and
thorough investigation. On the other, we should try to reform the
government we have, which has been allowing these horrible things to
happen and happen again.

We need to reform our prison or criminal justice system.

We need to reject fake news which demonize.

And we need to take our troops home and stop working regularly to
violently overthrow sovereign countries.

These tasks are not unrelated. When we are obsessed with war
externally, we have more unrest internally because our economy is
bound to decline while social unrest is bound to rise, against which
our expedient rulers are inclined to use harsher means against their
discontented citizens in order to retain control.

As we speak, the US government is said to be warning Syria not to use
chemical weapons, as if it can predict Assad's war plan on demand!

My interpretation is that Washington wants to protect certain rebel
groups that the Syrian military want to get rid of. To protect them
means to stop the Syrian military from bombing them. As in the past,
when bombs were dropped, suddenly, chemical weapons were said to have
exploded nearby.

With so many players and in such a chaotic situation as in today's
Syria, we don't know where the chemical stuff really comes from.

It doesn't make sense for Assad's military to drop that stuff since
it's not effective and the publicity is extremely unfavorable for
Assad. But reasoning like this doesn't stop Macron and the Trump
administration to fix the blame on Assad, even ahead of any bombing
raid.

So, this time, they forecast the crime and promise the penalty - no
doubt worse than the 60 Tomahawk missiles that Syria had to face last
t ime. This kind of fake news and violent foreign policy comes hand
in hand. It is sick!

lo yeeOn

August 1, 2016
The Exoneration of Milosevic: the ICTY's Surprise Ruling
by Andy Wilcoxson
https://www.counterpunch.org/2016/08/01/the-exoneration-of-milosevic-the-ictys-surprise-ruling/

The International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia (ICTY)
in The Hague has determined that the late Serbian president Slobodan
Milosevic was not responsible for war crimes committed during the
1992-95 Bosnian war.

In a stunning ruling, the trial chamber that convicted former
Bosnian-Serb president Radovan Karadzic of war crimes and sentenced
him to 40 years in prison, unanimously concluded that Slobodan
Milosevic was not part of a "joint criminal enterprise" to victimize
Muslims and Croats during the Bosnian war.

The March 24th Karadzic judgment states that "the Chamber is not
satisfied that there was sufficient evidence presented in this case to
find that Slobodan Milosevic agreed with the common plan" to
permanently remove Bosnian Muslims and Bosnian Croats from Bosnian
Serb claimed territory.[1] . . .
lo yeeOn
2017-06-28 03:26:07 UTC
[...]

By the way, the ICC itself has recently exonerated Milosevic - the
[...]

We need to reject fake news because it tends to demonize.

And we need to take our troops home and stop working regularly to
violently overthrow sovereign countries.

These tasks are not unrelated. When we are obsessed with war
externally, we have more unrest internally because our economy is
bound to decline while social unrest is bound to rise, against which
our expedient rulers are inclined to use harsher means against their
discontented subjects in order to retain control.

And in the fake news department, even as we speak, the US government
is said to be warning Syria not to use chemical weapons, as if it can
predict Assad's war plan on demand! Why is it doing that?

My interpretation is that Washington wants to protect certain rebel
groups that the Syrian military wants to get rid of. To protect them
means to stop the Syrian military from bombing them. As in the past,
when bombs were dropped, suddenly, chemical weapons were said to have
exploded nearby.

With so many players and in such a chaotic situation as in today's
Syria, we don't know where the chemical stuff really comes from.

It doesn't make sense for Assad's military to drop that stuff since
it's not militarily effective and the publicity is extremely
unfavorable for Assad. But reasoning like this doesn't stop Macron
and the Trump administration from trying to fix the blame on Assad,
even ahead of any bombing raid.

So, this time, they forecast the crime and promise the penalty, the
latter of which will no doubt be worse than the 60 Tomahawk missiles
that Syria had to face last time. Of course, by framing Syria ahead
of time, Washington is actually preemptively stopping the Syrian
military from doing anything to those groups we want to protect.
Washington is doing what it can to prolong the Syrian civil war.

(Maybe Robert E. Lee was just born in the wrong century --- had
he staged a rebellion these days, some hegemon might have helped
him out and stopped the Union from regaining control. Assad
has it harder than ol' Abe ever did.)

So, the Washington/Paris message to Assad's forces is if you don't
attack the rebel groups allied with us, then you can't be accused.
But if you attack them, then you'll be held accountable, even though
you may not actually explode any chemical weapons.

It might be part of war. But this kind of deception - fake news - and
this kind of bearing false witness about our "enemy" as a part of our
violent foreign policy is pretty sick!

And holding North Korea accountable for Otto Warmbier's death that
took place back home in the States without a thorough probe will not
make any more sense than the way we're accusing of Syria of using
chemical weapons. The motive of either accusation sounds similar: We
want to go to war against them and try to fix the blame to justify our
belligerence.

If Kim is bad, Washington and its propaganda machine should at least
take the logs out of their eyes first before they talk about
punishment for him or his colleagues.